Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fontana del Duomo

Old postcards of the Monumental fountain of largo del Littorio / largo Duomo, LivornoFor a few years, until the destruction of the Cathedral during the WWII air raids, a monumental fountain graced the outside of the apse, in what was the “Largo del Littorio” and now is “Largo Duomo”. It was built in 1929 for the “Istituto Nazionale Immobiliare” on a design by Gino Cipriani and G. Macchia.
(Postcards digitized from the collection of Antonio Cantelli)

I am sorry I didn't visit your blogs during our stay in Rome, but my aging laptop sternly refused to go wireless through my new Internet key modem.

Search labels: postcard

10 comments:

Traveling Hawk said...

Nice cartoline!

Luis Gomez said...

This is so pretty VP.

Jack said...

Lovely details, VP.

Lois Evensen said...

Beautiful fountain. I love the old post cards. Not to worry about visiting when it is mot possible to do so. I fully understand. I go through the same thing when we are at sea and are only in a US port where I can connect one day a week on my personal computer to check on other blogs.

Dina said...

It always pains me to see beautiful things destroyed in the war.

It was probably a blessing in disguise that you were free of Internet for a few days.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous fountain! Welcome back, VP.

Halcyon said...

It's beautiful. Is it still there? Too Bad that war tends to take away the beauty of cities.

Randy said...

These are wonderful.

Cezar and Léia said...

Sad that a fountain would be destroyed by war...
God bless you!
Cezar

cieldequimper said...

Wars...

I hope you had a wonderful time!