Sunday, July 4, 2010

Traffic Jam

MSC Sinfonia and Corsica Marina II, port of LivornoYou are probably used to traffic jams on land, but it could easily happen even at sea. Most of the ferries for the islands leave our port between 8 and 9am and at that time cruise ships are usually already moored and discharging passengers.MSC Sinfonia, Corsica Marina II and BeluoYesterday the “MSC Sinfonia” was more than two hours late and coming into port just in the middle of the ferry hour. Precedence is usually for the incoming ship with more passengers, so “Corsica Marina II”, “Beluo” and “Rais del Golfo” had to wait in line.MSC Sinfonia and a pilot boatThe cruise ship is now free to backtrack to her dock.Moby TommyThe “Moby Tommy” is leaving, after some waiting at the pier.Moby VincentAt last, even the “Moby Vincent” is free to go, en route for Bastia.

See also: Moby Vincent - Pirates - Moby Tommy - Walk or Get a Bus - Three Set of Eyes
Search labels: Moby - ferry

15 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

A busy time at the harbour.

Lowell said...

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Super shots and very funny - in a way. And I thought traffic here was bad!

Re your comment on being overworked on The Villages: I laughed out loud. Overworked they are not!

Gunn said...

I love the colors and the fun in these photos..
BTW, will your friends who are going to Norway come to Stavanger??

Dina said...

You had a super photo op! What an exciting morning.
I'd be so happy to see even ONE of those ships in person.

I remember on the "Enotria", out in the Mediterranean, seeing spread out lines of ships and understanding for the first time the idea of shipping lanes.

Luis Gomez said...

Great post VP. Wonderful pictures showing the traffic.

Tussy said...

What a busy moment, the MOBY is cute though, I'm a fan of them.

My Bangkok Through My Eyes

Small City Scenes said...

Now that is a jammed up port. Those cruise ships are mammoth. Look at the tiny tug. Super pictures. MB

Cezar and Léia said...

A ship traffic jam? Oh gosh, I'd never imagine it... Well, in fact I do imagine it. It reminds me of when I was handling this part of business, "fighting" for a berth to unload vessels with urgent cargo while the port was congested with too many vessels awaiting their turn to unload...
God bless you!
Cezar

cieldequimper said...

Looks like the Champs-Elysées!

Ah, but such wonderful blues...

B SQUARED said...

I love these ships.

Nori Katayama said...

Very interesting pictures as usual!
My photo today is also about "JAM".

http://noridasdiary.blogspot.com/

brattcat said...

I wonder what they do on a cruise ship while they wait for traffic to start moving again. I suppose it's not quite the same as sitting in an idling car.

Unknown said...

That Moby ship is really something! I can only imagine how excited a kid must be watching its inbound! :-)

Kaori said...

The second photo with all the ships patiently moving in line made me smile :-D

Hilda said...

You are right — I've never seen a traffic jam on sea before. The maneuvering definitely sounds more difficult!