Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Boats

Palinuro training ship, Naval Academy Trophy, LivornoThe 27th TAN (Naval Academy Trophy) has begun last Thursday, yesterday rained all day, so I'm making my first visit there only on Saturday. The school ship “Palinuro” is already there, ready to sail for some day cruises with selected high school students on board.Sailboats, LivornoThree jewels of the Italian Navy, minor only in size, are moored nearby: “Orsa Maggiore”, “Corsaro II” and “Stella Polare”.Old Coast Guard patrol vessel, Naval Academy Trophy, LivornoA nice surprise was to meet an old friend of mine on board this boat. This is an old Coast Guard patrol vessel donated to our local “Istituto Nautico”. Refitted and refurbished by the students now it is almost ready to go at sea, a new precious source of training for the school.

See also: Palinuro - Faventibus Ventis

15 comments:

Tussy said...

I love the first one, look very vintage.

You Got A Posty
My Bangkok Through My Eyes

Hilda said...

It constantly amazes me to see so many different kinds of ships there. Fascinating. I love the first one, but even the former patrol boat looks handsome with its wooden trim.

Lowell said...

I love boats and these are just wonderful. What a great program for high school students!

Leif Hagen said...

Quite impressive boats, especially the top one!

Small City Scenes said...

I love the wooden boats. Great shots. what a good thing for the students. MB

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow, there's a massive cruising ship there!
God bless you!
Cezar

Dina said...

You are so lucky to have the sea and boats as a big part of your life.

joo said...

I love all of them and agree with Dina - it's a great thing to have sea and boats so close!
Have a nice Sunday:)

cieldequimper said...

I wouldn't mind the smallest of the jewel trio. I have a feeling we're in for a nautical week and I love it!

Birdman said...

Cool shot with cruise ship in background. Interesting text too.

Kaori said...

So many different sizes and shapes of boats at the port! The ship in the first photo is my favorite!

Unknown said...

Fantastic juxtaposition in the first shot. What a contrast!

Gunn said...

Very interesting & very nice!:-)

tapirgal said...

You must be in heaven with this event. I hope the weather improves for you!

Wolynski said...

The Italian navy has yachts? Well, the Italians always knew how to live nicely.