Sunday, May 17, 2009

Synagogue of Livorno

Synagogue of LivornoThe first synagogue in Livorno was built around 1606 between the Cathedral and the Fosso Reale, then enlarged and embellished in various stages until 1789.Synagogue of Livorno, 19th centuryThe temple suffered heavy damages during the last war, so the jewish community of Livorno decided to build a new synagogue rather than restore the old one.Synagogue of Livorno, ruins after the warThe new synagogue was built in 1962 in the same place, in a square now named after Elijah Benamozegh. The jewish architect Angelo Di Castro (blacklisted under the fascist racial laws) designed a tentlike building, following the outlines of the original Tabernacle.
Synagogue of LivornoElio Toaff, Chief Rabbi of Rome for fifty years, was born in Livorno in 1915 and is probably the most famous son of this community in recent times.

See also: Inside the Synagogue - Moses Montefiore
Search labels: synagogue

22 comments:

Richard said...

The shape is futuristic, but eyecatching. By the way, have You a dog? I saw the hour of posting, and I thought You were awake at that hour due a pet :).

VP said...

Richard, this the real reason why I do not have a dog. Posts are scheduled, I am not an early riser...

Tall Gary said...

Oh, when I saw the synagogue I remembered that Amedeo Modigliani was born in Livorno. In 2004 I attended an exhibition of some of Modigliani’s works and was mightily impressed, especially with his sculpture. There was something timeless or eternal; universal about his sculpture.

I liked the way you showed both the modern synagogue and the historical war-damaged one in your posting.

Hilda said...

Designed after the tent of the tabernacle — I really like that. Very unusual architecture.

Lowell said...

Wow! I'm impressed. Modern and striking. Would love to see the inside!

joo said...

Interesting building, however I'm not very keen on this kind of architecture.
BTW, you can always teach your dog to wait until you wake up - it's what I've done:)

brattcat said...

Such an informative post. Thank you.

B SQUARED said...

Beautiful building. Quite a contrast with those around it.

cieldequimper said...

Now I like modern architecture like that one. It's striking but somehow blends in really well.

Unknown said...

That's a strange sight, but I do like this one. Would like to see the inside, but I know it might not be easy to get access. Very good post!

Frank said...

So cool. Unbelievable design.

stromsjo said...

Remarkable architecture. Are those windows or ornaments, sort of scattered across the walls?

I like the third shot best, interesting to enlarge for those who haven't already done so.

Stefan Jansson said...

That's a bit different. And I like the architecture.

Halcyon said...

Very cool! I like it alot.

Cezar and Léia said...

Very informative! This place is beautiful and I liked a lot!
Léia

henny said...

The first time I see a synagogue closer. I like the backside exterior better than the front side. It's beautiful, but I don't see a Star of David.

Tash said...

Not my favorite period for architecture. I do like the back side - must look interesting on the inside.
I'm reading Primo Levi's biography (Tragedy of an Optimist) along with Umberto Eco's (the Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana) - interesting personal perspectives.

Baruch said...

What a beautiful synagogue

crocrodyl said...

Beautiful and so original! I haven't seen such thing yet!

Marcel said...

Do you have pictures of the old one?

stromsjo said...

Still as remarkable as when I saw your post half a year ago. Reminds me, I'd like to take a closer look at our synagogue as well.

Dina said...

An all-together wonderful post! Thank you, VP!