Thursday, April 23, 2009

Four Musketeers

d'Artagnan, Villa Fabbricotti, LivornoThis is a quiz, but I do not know the answer. In the park of “Villa Fabbricotti” near a building which hosts the “Biblioteca dei ragazzi” (Children's Library) you can find these statues, partially hidden in a secluded spot.
Athos, Villa Fabbricotti, LivornoI remember them from when I was a boy prowling the park and snubbing the library. After few years and many books I learned that they represented the Three Musketeers, which obviously were four.
Aramis, Villa Fabbricotti, LivornoInside the park there are statues of the likes of Modigliani, Mascagni, Carducci, but these four were the only I knew and I cared for. These are not great work of art, but this was and is beyond my interest.
Porthos, Villa Fabbricotti, LivornoWhat about the quiz? I simply can't remember which statue represent each one of the Musketeers. I could easily place one, maybe two, but I'm not sure. Anybody willing to help?

With informations and sound logic Malyss has persuaded me that the statues are: d'Artagnan, Athos, Aramis and Porthos. Thanks to her and to everybody who has commented, trying or not an answer.

Latest update: everything said above is wrong, please read our Wrongheaded post setting the record straight.

13 comments:

joo said...

I'm afraid I don't know the answer - never have been very keen on Dumas,but these statues are pretty nice:)

cieldequimper said...

Blush :-( Yes, I know, A. Dumas was French... Lovely photos of what sounds like a statuesque park.

Ming the Merciless said...

I don't either but I remember reading stories and watching movies about them as a kid.

nobu said...

Anyway, those statues are very interesting.

Hilda said...

Oh goodness. Don't ask me, I'm awful with names (and titles)! I do love the stories and movies though.

Unknown said...

I can't even guess at the names of each sculpture. I only remember that their names are Athos, Porthos and Aramis with D'Artagnan as the young upstart. Which is which? I don't know but these are fine images anyway. Great post.

Cezar and Léia said...

I wish I could...but sorry!
Anyway the statues are nice and this place seems so calm and quite.
Great pictures
Léia

Lowell said...

If you were a lawyer, you'd know never to ask a question for which you don't know the answer. ;-)

Interesting post and nice photos!

Stefan Jansson said...

Not sure who is who. I think I will have to ask my brother because I know that he has read the novel.

henny said...

VP, let's watch the Hollywood (it's from Hollywood, isn't it?) version of the Three Musketeers. Me for the third time. Or just take Christopher's answer. If you asked me, French names are way too difficult to remember.
Hmm, why their statues are there in Livorno?

henny said...

Oh, I know, it's a library :)

Malyss said...

Well, I'd say:
Aramis is described by Dumas as very elegant and smart, so, I vote for Aramis being statue n°3.

Porthos is known as greedy, eating a lot, So He 's N°4.

For the two others, your statue N°2 is wearing the uniform of a musketeer (with the cross on the "shirt"), and so ,he must be Athos.

Then, statue N° 1 must be d'Artagnan!

Tash said...

Nice to have literary friends. Well done Malyss - I'm glad I don't have to go on a mission to find out who is who.
VP - Very cool to see something you remember & that you liked so much from your childhood.